Last update: 27 February 2010
- Review by SlashGear
Toshiba Mini NB305 is the successor of NB205, featuring; Intel’s 1.66GHz Atom N450 processor, 10.1-inch 1024 x 600 display uses GMA 3150 graphics, 1GB of RAM and a 250GB, three USBs, VGA, Ethernet, an SD card reader, and mic and headphone jacks.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Toshiba Mini NB305 Reviews
Engadget reviews the Toshiba Mini NB305 and writes;
“The 10-inch, 1024 x 600 resolution screen is bright with just the right amount of gloss, and actually looks better than most when it comes to viewing angles. We didn’t have to make any real adjustments to share the screen with a friend. The display may be the best we’ll ever get on a netbook….”
Slashgear reviews the Toshiba Mini NB305 and writes;
“Build quality is high, and the design – though using plenty of plastic – is at least pretty distinctive among the netbook rank and file. The textured finish on the outer lid continues around the screen bezel, and there’s a bright blue power button/LED in the middle of the hinge. Toshiba have wisely given the NB305’s keyboard pretty much the full width of the netbook to play with, and the result is one of the better ‘boards we’ve used…”
LaptopMag reviews the Toshiba Mini NB305 and writes;
“The NB305’s 5,400-rpm, 250GB hard drive performed well, copying a 4.97GB folder of multimedia files at a rate of 20.6 MBps, 4.8 MBps faster than average. It booted into Windows 7 Starter Edition in 1 minute and 9 seconds, which is 10 seconds longer than average…”
CNET reviews the Toshiba Mini NB305 and writes;
“The good: Great battery life; large touch pad; improved speakers, bulge-free battery; sleep-and-charge USB port. The bad: The keyboard, while wide, has awkwardly sized keys for touch-typing; some Netbooks offer HD displays for the same price.”
Video insider review of Toshiba Mini NB305
Video preview of Toshiba Mini NB305 by Digital Trends
Video preview of Toshiba Mini NB305 by UKToshiba
Toshiba Mini NB305 User Reviews
“…I’m extremely happy with the performance. Everyone needs to keep in mind that netbooks have never been designed for processor intensive tasks, but this little guy rocks! The new “Pinetrail” Atom N450 platform seems to be a great fit for this netbook. The graphics engine is updated, as well. I have had absolutely no delays in any streaming video on YouTube or Netflix. (I did notice just a bit of stuttering in Hulu only when watching something full screen but this isn’t an issue for me.) Surfing is snappy and responsive, just the way that I like it…”
“…The keyboard is absolutely great on this machine, it is what attracted me to the Toshiba initially. I have had this machine for about a week now and so far there is nothing that I can really complain about. The battery life is incredible, although I have yet to try to drain it. Today the machine was on, but not in constant use, for over six hours and it still showed 40% battery life. The screen is very good and even though only 10.1″ I am forgetting that I’m on a small machine. Very spacious hard drive at 250GB…”
“..I’m getting between 9 and 10 hours and I have the display at its brightest and most other power-saving features unused. So with some parsimony, you can probably get the advertised 11.08 hours. Very nice..The inside of the N310 is a pleasant matte black aluminum around the screen and around the keyboard and on the palm rests and trackpad buttons. The inside of the N410 is silver aluminum, while the frame around the display matches the exterior color…”
Toshiba Mini NB305 Features
* 10.1-inch LED backlit widescreen display (1024 x 600-pixel resolution) provides richer colors and clearer definition–perfect for browsing the Internet.
* 1.66 GHz Intel Atom N450 processor (512 KB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB) combines performance and energy efficiency to explore the Internet and stay connected while mobile.
* 250 GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 RPM) with an impact sensor that helps safeguard your data by “parking” the hard drive heads in the event of a drop or sudden movement.
* 1 GB of DDR2 RAM (800 MHz; 1 memory slot; upgradeable to 2 GB)
* Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 video processor with up to 384 MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
* Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking (802.11b/g/n) for greater speed and range.
* Three USB ports with one Sleep and Charge port on the left side, allowing you to charge your mobile phone and other devices even when the notebook is asleep or off.
* Full-size 85-key keyboard
* TouchPad pointing device with multi-touch gesture control
* Built-in stereo speaker
* Fast Ethernet (10/100)
* Secure Digital memory card reader also compatible with Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC, and MultiMedia Card (MMC)
* Enjoy proactive PC health–without the worry. For your peace mind, this laptop comes with an innovative PC Health Monitor that constantly keeps tabs on things like your machine’s power usage, temperature and hard drive–so you won’t have to.
*Windows 7 Starter makes small notebook PCs easier to use because it puts less between you and what you want to do–less waiting, less clicking, less hassle connecting to networks. And Starter combines the latest in reliability and responsiveness with the familiarity and compatibility of Windows.
* Get more features with Windows Anytime Upgrade. A small notebook PC running Windows 7 Home Premium is even easier to use. The new taskbar and advanced navigation features make launching programs, opening files, managing windows, and getting around your PC faster and easier. Personalize your PC to be just the way you want it with helpful gadgets and desktop themes–even turn your desktop into a slideshow of your favorite photos. And you get the best entertainment experience on a PC. With Windows Media Center, you can watch shows for free when and where you want with Internet TV.
* Pre-loaded software includes Microsoft Works SE 9.0 for word processing and spreadsheet work.
* Up to 11 hours of battery life with included 6-cell battery (5800 mAh)
* Weight: 2.6 pounds
* Dimensions: 10.47 x 7.57 x 1.43 inches (WxDxH)
* Warranty: 1 year warranty with international limited warranty coverage
* Energy Star 5.0 certified
* Gold EPEAT designation for meeting standards to help reduce its environmental impact.
* RoHS compliant effectively reducing the environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances
Toshiba Mini NB305 Press Release
The Best Gets Better: Toshiba Updates Award-Winning Netbook
New Toshiba mini NB305 Netbook Features Higher Battery Life Rating, Streamlined Design and Smarter Features
IRVINE, Calif. — Jan. 4, 2010 — Toshiba’s Digital Products Division (DPD), a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today announced the Toshiba mini NB305, the next generation of its award-winning netbook, built for comfort, style and extended computing time. The super-compact companion PC features a sleek new form factor, an impressive battery life rating of up to 11 hours, plus enhanced performance and features for greater ease of use.
“Our first netbook in the U.S. market stood out from the competition because we fixed what was broken in the previous generation of netbooks,” said Carl Pinto, vice president of product development, Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Digital Products Division. “As the category continues to evolve, we’re pushing the envelope even further to deliver the next generation that again exceeds customer expectations with better performance, an even higher battery life rating and smarter features that enhance the mobile computing experience.”
The Toshiba mini NB305 features a design that is comfort-driven and easy-to-use. Unlike many netbooks, the mini NB305 features a comfortable full-size keyboard, plus a full-size touchpad, making navigation easy and intuitive. The mini NB305 is enhanced by an energy-efficient design, featuring a 10.1-inch diagonal TruBrite® LED backlit display, plus the latest Intel® Atom™ N450 processor , which delivers an improvement over previous generation processors in power-efficiency, enabling the significant increase in the netbook’s battery life rating.
The mini NB305 features a spacious 250GB hard drive, which is supported by Toshiba’s Hard Drive Impact Sensor that guards data from the daily bumps of mobile life and a USB port with Sleep-and-Charge that enables users to charge various consumer electronics devices though USB even when the unit is turned off or in sleep mode.
Style and Eco-Conscious Design
The mini NB305 is available in two configurations. The mini NB305-N410 features a stylish cover with a unique Texture Finish in three color options — Java Brown, Frost White and Royal Blue — a raised-tile keyboard in silver and an accenting chrome hinge. The mini NB305-N310 features Toshiba’s sophisticated Fusion™ Finish in Black Onyx and a sleek, flat keyboard with Black Matte finish.
Continuing Toshiba’s commitment to help consumers and businesses reduce their carbon footprint, the mini NB205 is power efficient, meeting the rigorous requirements of the EnergyStar® 5.0 standard, achieved industry-leading Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT®) Gold status and is RoHS compliant.
* Features available on the Toshiba mini NB305 netbook include: 10.1-inch diagonal widescreen TruBrite™ backlit LED display (WSVGA)
* Windows 7 Starter operating system
* Intel® Atom™ N450 processor2
* 1GB DDR2 800MHz RAM , upgradeable to 2GB
* Spacious storage with up to 250GB HDD3
* 802.11b/g/n wireless and 10/100 Ethernet
* Bluetooth V2.1 + EDR (available on select models)6
* TOSHIBA Hard Drive Impact Sensor
* Toshiba Bulletin Board™
* Toshiba ReelTime™
* Toshiba PC Health Monitor
* Lightweight and very portable at only 2.6 lbs.
* Long-life 6-cell battery with battery life rating up to 11 hours1
* One USB port with Sleep-and-Charge4 and two USB 2.0 ports
* Memory Card Reader Slot
* Built-in Webcam, speaker and microphone
* One-year international limited warranty and award-winning Toshiba service and support
Pricing and Availability
The Toshiba mini NB305 netbooks will be available on January 12 at major retailers, e-tailers and direct from Toshiba on toshibadirect.com. Pricing ranges from $349.99 MSRP to $399.99 MSRP8.
Connect with Toshiba on Twitter at twitter.com/ToshibaLaptops and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/ToshibaLaptopsUS.
About Toshiba America Information Systems Inc. (TAIS)
Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., TAIS is comprised of four business units: Digital Products Division, Imaging Systems Division, Storage Device Division, and Telecommunication Systems Division. Together, these divisions provide mobile products and solutions, including industry leading portable computers; projectors; imaging products for the security, medical and manufacturing markets; storage products for automotive, computer and consumer electronics applications; and telephony equipment and associated applications.
TAIS provides sales, marketing and services for its wide range of information products in the United States and Latin America. TAIS is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation. Toshiba Corporation is a world leader and innovator in high technology, a diversified manufacturer and marketer of advanced electronic and electrical products. These products span from information & communications systems; digital consumer products; electronic devices and components; as well as power systems including nuclear energy; industrial and social infrastructure systems; and home appliances. Toshiba was founded in 1875, and today operates a global network of more than 740 companies, with 199,000 employees worldwide and annual sales surpassing US$73 billion. For more information on Toshiba visit toshiba.com.
© 2010 Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. All product, service and company names are trademarks, registered trademarks or service marks of their respective owners. Information including without limitation product prices, specifications, availability, content of services, and contact information is subject to change without notice. All rights reserved.