Last update : 09 December ‘09
- Review by PC World
Toshiba finally released the new Mini NB205 runs on 1.66 GHz Intel Atom N280 processor featuring 2.93 pounds of weight, 10.1-inch LED backlit widescreen display (1024 x 600-pixel resolution), Windows 7 Starter, 250 GB Serial ATA hard drive, 1GB of RAM and WiFi.
Overall Rating: | Latest Price Info
Toshiba Mini NB205 Reviews
PC World reviews the Toshiba Mini NB205 and writes;
“Toshiba also adds a few extras to the NB205-N310 that are sure to appeal to folks on the go–and even more so to IT departments looking to deploy cheap PCs to a mobile workforce. One notable perk is a pass-through USB port that enables users to charge USB-powered devices while the computer is off. This netbook also provides an internal accelerometer to protect the hard drive in case of falls (much as the HP Mini 2140 does)–and it offers wireless WAN support as an option.”
Video review of Toshiba Mini NB205 by brandondoestalk
CNET reviews the Toshiba Mini NB205 and writes;
“The bottom line: Toshiba finally enters the Netbook market with the Mini NB205. It’s got an upscale, distinctive look and a good keyboard/touch pad combo, but also weak audio and a big, bulky battery.”
Laptopmag reviews the Toshiba Mini NB205 and writes;
“The metal island keyboard on our model (the less expensive version will be plastic and non-island style) is one of the best we’ve seen, and rivals that of the HP Mini 2140. Though they’re sturdy and comfortable, it can take a bit of time to get used to its keys.”
PCmag reviews the Toshiba Mini NB205 and writes;
“…battery life scored beyond expectations. MobileMark 2007—a battery test—reported a score of 8 hours 27 minutes. The NB205’s battery took almost 2 hours longer to drain than that of the 1000HE (6:36). It also outlasted the Samsung N120 (12GBK) by 30 minutes.”
Notebook Review reviews the Toshiba Mini NB205 and writes;
“The Toshiba NB205 uses a nice and bright 10.1-inch widescreen LED-backlit display panel with a 1024 x 600 native resolution. I wish Toshiba offered the mini NB205 with a higher resolution screen such as the ones available from Dell, HP, and Sony, but considering the $400 price point we can’t complain too much.”
Smallbusinesscomputing reviews the Toshiba Mini NB205 and writes;
“Also very impressive is the Toshiba’s touchpad. It’s huge, or at least full-sized-laptop-sized (1.6- by three-inches), with spacious, smooth-operating buttons. Compared to the postage-stamp pads of netbooks like the Lenovo IdeaPad S10- 2, it’s downright luxurious.”
Video Preview of the Toshiba Mini NB205 by JRcomputerworld
Video Preview of the Toshiba Mini NB205 by netbookscoop
Video Preview of the Toshiba Mini NB205 by Wired
Toshiba Mini NB205 User Reviews
“This unit has a generous amount of USB connectors. At 3 it has more then my MacBook has which is great in this tiny package. It also has a ethernet port, Mic and Headset jack, and of course a SD/SDHC card slot. With its long batter life, like weight, great style, I think I am going to enjoy carrying this around and not minding it.”
“I bought it for remote access to my company’s server so I could prepare reports from the road and not have to drive 1-2 hours to my office. For this and for internet browsing, it has been perfect. Two others in my office have Asus and HP netbooks and this Toshiba blows them away, if for nothing else the keyboard layout. Wi-fi reception has been much better than the laptop I previously used, so I have no complaints at all.”
Toshiba Mini NB205 User Manual (PDF)
Click to view or right click and select Save Target As..(Firefox) or Save link as.. (IE) to download
– coming soon –
Toshiba Mini NB205 Features/Specifications
* 10.1-inch LED backlit widescreen display (1024 x 600-pixel resolution) provides richer colors and clearer definition–perfect for browsing the internet
* Windows 7 Starter makes small notebook PCs easier to use because it puts less between you and what you want to do–less waiting, less clicking, less hassle connecting to networks. And Starter combines the latest in reliability and responsiveness with the familiarity and compatibility of Windows. (Learn more)
* Get more features with Windows Anytime Upgrade. A small notebook PC running Windows 7 Home Premium is even easier to use. The new taskbar and advanced navigation features make launching programs, opening files, managing windows, and getting around your PC faster and easier. Personalize your PC to be just the way you want it with helpful gadgets and desktop themes–even turn your desktop into a slideshow of your favorite photos. And you get the best entertainment experience on a PC. With Windows Media Center, you can watch shows for free when and where you want with Internet TV.
* 1.66 GHz Intel Atom N280 processor combines performance and efficiency to explore the Internet and stay connected while mobile
* 250 GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 RPM) with an impact sensor that helps safeguard your data by “parking” the hard drive heads in the event of a drop or sudden movement.
* 1 GB of RAM (800 MHz; 1 memory slot; upgradeable to 2 GB)
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator GMA950 with up to 251 MB of dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
* Webcam (0.3 megapixels) integrated into the bezel for easy video chats and teleconferencing
* Three USB ports with one Sleep and Charge port on the left side, allowing you to charge your mobile phone and other devices even when the notebook is asleep or off.
* Full-sized keyboard (85 keys)
* Integrated Wi-Fi networking (802.11b.g)
* Fast Ethernet wired networking (10/100)
* Built-in mono speaker
* Pre-loaded software includes Microsoft Works for word processing and spreadsheet work. Enjoy a 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007.
* Up to 9 hours of battery life from included 6-cell battery (5800 mAh)
* Dimensions: 10.4 x 7.6 x 1.27 inches (WxDxH)
* Weight: 2.93 pounds
* Environmentally focused with RoHS compatibility (reducing its environmental impact by restricting the use of lead, mercury and certain other hazardous substances), Energy Star 5.0 compliant, and EPEAT Gold compliant
* Warranty: 1 year warranty with international limited warranty coverage
Toshiba Mini NB205 Press Release
Toshiba Announces US Availability of the Toshiba mini NB205: A Mini Notebook to Envy
Sleek and Stylish Mini Notebook Perfectly Designed for Comfort with Extra-long Battery Life , Full-Size Keyboard and Touchpad, Choice of Colors and More
IRVINE, Calif. — June 2, 2009 — Toshiba’s Digital Products Division (DPD), a division of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., today announced the Toshiba mini NB205, a compact, lightweight companion PC that makes it easy to stay connected, productive and informed while on the go. With a design hallmarked by a comfort-driven, full-sized keyboard and large touchpad, nine hours of battery life1 and a highly-stylized Texture Finish offered in a choice of colors, the mini NB205 marks the company’s first entry into the U.S. mini notebook market.
Ideal for digitally-active consumers who need a compact companion PC that’s easy to carry, the Toshiba mini NB205 series incorporates key usability, durability and style features that have yet to be seen in other mini notebooks at a competitive price point.
“We’re raising the bar in the mini notebook category with a premium brand that truly delivers on the portability promise these companion PCs were originally designed for,” said Jeff Barney, vice president and general manager of Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc., Digital Products Division. “The addition of the mini NB205 expands our product line to meet the ever-increasing demands of consumers and exemplifies Toshiba’s reputation for quality that they expect and reflects the company’s long history of building mobility platforms.”
“U.S. consumers are rapidly realizing the benefits of mini notebooks. They are figuring out that this evolving category of PCs fits well into their lives, their budgets and their backpacks –the record growth in retail volume is a testament to that,” said Bob O’Donnell, vice president of Clients and Displays research at IDC.
Comfort without Compromise
The super-compact mini NB205 features a bright and vivid 10.1-inch diagonal widescreen LED backlit display, a full-size QWERTY raised-tile keyboard and a generous laptop-sized touchpad, making typing and navigating the Web easy and comfortable. The mini notebook also runs Windows® XP, a familiar operating system with broad application compatibility.
The mini NB205 is packed with common-sense usability features that address real-world consumer portability demands. It comes equipped with a Hard Drive Impact Sensor that guards data from the daily bumps of mobile life and a USB port with Sleep-and-Charge that enables users to charge various consumer electronics devices even when the unit is turned off.
The mini NB205 delivers peace of mind around the world — it is one of the few mini notebooks available that comes standard with a one-year international limited warranty, giving Toshiba customers access to over 271 service providers worldwide.
A Stylish and Eco-chic Companion
There are two available configurations of the Toshiba mini NB205 series.
The mini NB205-N310 features a unique and stylish textured finish, an accenting chrome hinge and will be available in four metallic color finishes — Sable Brown, Frost White, Indigo Blue and Posh Pink — to fit the most discerning consumer’s style and fashion needs.
The mini NB205-N210 features a Fusion Finish in Black Onyx cover and a sleek, flat keyboard with Black Matte finish.
In addition, continuing Toshiba’s commitment to help consumers and businesses reduce their carbon footprint, the mini NB205 is power efficient and meets the rigorous requirements of the upcoming EnergyStar® 5.0 standard, is RoHS compatible and achieved industry-leading Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) Gold status.
* Features available on the Toshiba mini NB205 include: 10.1-inch diagonal widescreen TruBrite™ backlit LED display (WSVGA)
* Windows® XP Home operating system
* Intel Atom N280 processor (1.66GHz)
* 1GB DDR2 800MHz RAM , upgradeable to 2GB
* Spacious storage with a 160GB HDD2
* 802.11b/g wireless and 10/100 Ethernet
* Bluetooth V2.1 + EDR (only available in mini NB205-N310)
* TOSHIBA Hard Drive Impact Sensor
* Lightweight and very portable at only 2.9 lbs.
* Long-life 6-cell battery delivering up to 9 hours of productivity1
* One USB port with Sleep-and-Charge and two USB 2.0 ports
* Built-in Webcam, speaker and microphone
* Toshiba PC Health Monitor
* RGB port for connecting to external displays
* Memory Card Reader Slot
* Security Lock Slot
* One-year international limited warranty and award-winning Toshiba service and support
The company will offer several Toshiba-branded accessories for the mini NB205 series, including a Portable DVD SuperMulti Drive, available today at an MSRP of $99.99, a USB Mini Retractable Mouse available later this month at an MSRP6 of $14.99 as well as 12-inch Envoy Fabric or Leather Carrying Cases available today. A 10-inch Dual Function Hardside Case and a 10.1-inch Neoprene Sleeve will also be available this month direct from Toshiba on toshibadirect.com.
Pricing and Availability
The Toshiba mini NB205-N310 ($399.00 MSRP6) and mini NB205-N210 ($349.00 MSRP6) will both be available in late June at major retailers, e-tailers and direct from Toshiba on toshibadirect.com. Additionally, the mini NB205-N210 can be purchased through select Toshiba Preferred Partner Program resellers.
More information about the Toshiba mini NB205 can be found at laptops.toshiba.com/nb200.
About Toshiba America Information Systems Inc. (TAIS)
Headquartered in Irvine, Calif., TAIS is comprised of four business units: Digital Products Division, Imaging Systems Division, Storage Device Division, and Telecommunication Systems Division. Together, these divisions provide mobile products and solutions, including industry leading portable computers; projectors; imaging products for the security, medical and manufacturing markets; storage products for automotive, computer and consumer electronics applications; and telephony equipment and associated applications.
TAIS provides sales, marketing and services for its wide range of information products in the United States and Latin America. TAIS is an independent operating company owned by Toshiba America, Inc., a subsidiary of Toshiba Corporation. Toshiba Corporation is a world leader and innovator in high technology, a diversified manufacturer and marketer of advanced electronic and electrical products. These products span from information & communications systems; digital consumer products; electronic devices and components; as well as power systems including nuclear energy; industrial and social infrastructure systems; and home appliances. Toshiba was founded in 1875, and today operates a global network of more than 730 companies, with 199,000 employees worldwide and annual sales surpassing US$67 billion. For more information on Toshiba visit www.laptops.toshiba.com.